Ransomware and Its Key Features!
If you are a computer geek then you might have heard of the word “Ransomware “. Well! Ransomware is a sophisticated and complicated piece of malware that blocks the user’s access to his/her files. As deadly as it may sound, it is one of most popular malware in circulation nowadays.
Let’s take a look at some of the most popular types of ransomware:
- Encrypting ransomware
The first one which has been victimizing the computer users for quite a while now is the encrypting ransomware. It is named so because it incorporates some of the most advanced encryption algorithms and is designed to block system files. It is the notorious ransomware which even most of the times demands payment to provide you with a specific code or a key that can decrypt the blocked content. Here are few examples of this kind of ransomware which include Crypto Locker and Crytpo Wall.
- Locker ransomware
This is another kind of ransomware which is circulating nowadays. As the name suggests, this ransomware locks the victim out of the operating system. This make it impossible for the user to access the important files on the desktop and any applications. Example includes Winlocker.
Following are some of the most prominent characteristics of Ransomware which distinguishes it from other malware:
- The ransomware features encryption which means that you can no longer read your own files or decrypt them. Many decryption tools however are there for your rescue and can help you out.
- A ransom can infect and encrypt all kinds of files. It has no limitation and can make your documents , pictures, videos, audios and all other files encrypted.
- It can mix up the names of your files, thus making it impossible to locate which files are affected. This trick is to confuse the user and to convince him into paying the money to fix it.
- Normally, different extension may be added to your file.
- Many ransomware display a specific signature image or a message which is their signal to let you know that you have been attacked and you have to pay the money.
- Many ransomware play with the mind of victim and pressurize him by giving him a time limit to pay the money which can be very pressurizing for the victim. The deadline has to be met and if not met, leads to increase of ransom money or the data is destroyed by the attackers.
- This malware can spread to other computers connected in a local network. This leads to a chain reaction of damage.
- In many case, the ransomware is able to extract data from the affected computer desktop and documents and thus all your important usernames and passwords are controlled by cyber criminals;
- It sometimes includes geographical targeting, meaning the ransom note is translated into the victim’s language, to increase the chances for the ransom to be paid.
The list of damages that ransomware can do are growing each day and thus there is a growing need to be vigilant against it.